Dr. Mina Abdelshahed is a native of Union, NJ. He graduated summa cum laude from Rutgers University with a bachelor of arts in biological sciences and a minor in psychology. Dr. Abdelshahed then attended Rutgers University – New Jersey Medical School where he received his Doctor of Medicine Degree, and was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha National Medical Society.
After medical school, he completed his internship and residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at Rutgers University – New Jersey Medical School. Dr. Abdelshahed earned the notable distinction of being selected by the faculty and administration to serve as an Administrative Chief Resident. During his residency, he received a wide range of orthopaedic training from nationally and internationally recognized orthopaedic surgeons considered leaders in their fields. There, Dr. Abdelshahed trained at University Hospital, the busiest Level 1 Trauma center in the tri-state area, preparing him to manage all aspects of Orthopaedic Trauma. Further, he was nominated multiple times by medical students for the Golden Apple Resident Teaching Award for excellence in teaching and, upon graduation from residency, was the recipient of the Orthopaedic Resident Teaching Award.
Dr. Abdelshahed took a keen interest in the treatment of shoulder and elbow injuries and ailments. This interest led to his enrollment in, and completetion of, a fellowship in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery at the distinguished New York University Hospital of Joint Diseases in Manhattan, NY. The fellowship provided him with a broad experience and expanded his ability to treat any condition of the shoulder, elbow, and upper extremity with a multitude of interventions, including surgical and non-surgical options.
With just a short one-year stay outside of New Jersey, Dr. Abdelshahed is excited to return home to give back to the community that helped him grow into the person he is today. He is enthusiastic to provide care for patients presenting with a wide range of orthopaedic injuries and ailments, including orthopaedic trauma and fractures, general orthopaedics, sports medicine, and particularly his subspecialty focus of shoulder, elbow, and upper extremity.
Dr. Abdelshahed currently resides in Northern New Jersey with his wife and two energetic sons. In his spare time, he enjoys spending time with his family and friends, sports and outdoor activities, and avidly rooting for the New York Rangers, Jets, Knicks, and Mets.
Conditions and Treatments
- Osteoarthritis of the shoulder, elbow, hip, and knee
- Shoulder, elbow, hip, and knee replacement
- Shoulder injuries, rotator cuff tear, shoulder dislocation, shoulder fractures, clavicle fractures, acromioclavicular sprains, sports injuries, impingement syndrome, bursitis, tendon injuries/ruptures; open and arthroscopic shoulder surgeries/reconstructions
- Elbow injuries, elbow fractures, tendon injuries/ruptures, medial epicondylitis (golfer’s elbow), lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow), sports injuries, cubital tunnel syndrome; open and arthroscopic elbow surgeries/reconstructions; forearm and wrist fractures
- Knee injuries, meniscus tears, ACL tears, sports injuries; arthroscopic knee surgeries/reconstructions; ankle injuries and fractures
- Rutgers University; Newark, NJ
- B/A. in Biological Sciences Major; Psychology Minor
- Summa Cum Laude
- Rutgers University – New Jersey Medical School (formerly UMDNJ)
- Alpha Omega Alpha National Medical Society
- Rutgers University – New Jersey Medical School – Department of Orthopaedic Surgery; New York, NY
- NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases – Shoulder & Elbow Surgery; New York, NY
- Trinitas Regional Medical Center; Elizabeth, NJ
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital; Rahway, NJ
- Society of the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons – Candidate Member